Bing Ads to roll out unified device targeting
Epiphany shortlisted in the 2015 Prolific North Awards
Google update guidelines for Doorway Pages.
19 Mar 2015 ·
The change is targeted at adjusting rankings for doorway pages, examples of which now include:
- Having multiple domain names or pages targeted at specific regions or cities that funnel users to one page
- Pages generated to funnel visitors into the actual usable or relevant portion of your site(s)
- Substantially similar pages that are closer to search results than a clearly defined, browseable hierarchy
Google has provided a list of questions to ask to help you understand if your pages are at risk:
- Is the purpose to optimize for search engines and funnel visitors into the actual usable or relevant portion of your site, or are they an integral part of your site’s user experience?
- Are the pages intended to rank on generic terms yet the content presented on the page is very specific?
- Do the pages duplicate useful aggregations of items (locations, products, etc.) that already exist on the site for the purpose of capturing more search traffic?
- Are these pages made solely for drawing affiliate traffic and sending users along without creating unique value in content or functionality?
- Do these pages exist as an “island?” Are they difficult or impossible to navigate to from other parts of your site? Are links to such pages from other pages within the site or network of sites created just for search engines?
Doorway campaigns are a dated concept in SEO, we recommend that your site content should always add clear, unique value.
Read more on the announcement here.