Google has just announced “Google My Business”, a new initiative to help businesses connect with their customers across a variety of Google products.
According to the Inside Adwords blog announcement, the free program serves as an upgrade to existing Google Places dashboards and allows business owners to customise their information on Maps, Google Search, and Google+ in one place.
It brings together several different ways in which Google can help customers find your business:
- Update your business info on Search, Maps and Google+ from one place to make it easy for customers to get in touch
- Add beautiful photos of your business and a virtual tour of your business interior to help customers see what makes your business unique
- Connect directly with your fans and customers by sharing news, events and other important updates from your Google+ page
- Stay on top of reviews from across the web, and respond to Google reviews
- Understand how people find and interact with your business using custom insights and integration with AdWords Express
- Manage your information on-the-go with the Google My Business Android app and the iOS app (launching soon)
Current users of Google Places for Businesses and Google Plus are also being are being upgraded to a similar experience.
Perhaps this new program will help bring the simplicity that Google has long lacked in its Places offering as, for most businesses, using the new tool should make updating information that they are already providing in several places easier and simpler to manage in the long run.
Providing Google with information about your business should prove beneficial, enabling you to control the information shown rather than waiting for Google to detect the information itself.